School started back in August and that means resuming my duties on the PTA board. To stay organized I designated a notebook just for my PTA meetings. Of course I needed a way to upscale it, so I pulled out my ScanNCut and my Minc. I cut the wording I wanted: PTA; 2016 – 2017 School Year; and Fun Committee (I’m also on the Fun Committee at work) out of scrap vinyl. It didn’t matter what color I used because I was going to foil it.
After cutting the vinyl don’t remove it from the backer just yet. I took the words and cut them so that they’d fit in the Minc carrier sheet. I picked my foil color (there are so many to choose from, but I thought blue would look good on the neon green notebook), and ran it through the Minc. Don’t forget the foil should be shiny side up.
After that it was as simple as picking up my shiny new letters with a transfer sheet and putting them on my notebook!
This is a great little trick. Just think, now you can put foiled letters, words, designs… anywhere! Just an FYI, if you dont have a Minc this could also easily be done with prepackaged foiled alphabet stickers. Honestly it definitely would have been quicker… but what’s the fun in that?!
It seems I’ve been taking a bit of a break from blogging. Not intentionally I assure you. I just hadn’t been doing a good job of documenting my projects as I was completing them.
With the Thanksgiving weekend coming up I hope to get started on a holiday project for my son’s class. In the mean time enjoy these favor boxes I made for his 7th birthday. He loves Legos and superheroes, so I combined them both. The inside contained a birthday Lego figure and an official Lego Builder license.
Lawn Fawn had just release their scalloped treat box die and I thought that would be great for party favors. I did a sample mock up using the scalloped treat box you can check out here. Unfortunately it wasn’t large enough for the treats I’d purchased so I started looking for other options. I found a great milk carton box on the Stamparadise blog. These boxes were a great size, and since she included dimensions I didn’t have to spend any extra money for another die.
I started by creating 20, (yes 20) milk carton bases. Cutting each sheet to size was no problem, but I will tell you, scoring each piece, especially the diagonal lines was a chore. How I went about doing the diagonal lines was to use the fold out arm of my We R Memory Keepers 1-2-3 punch board. Lastly I die cut a small stitched circle on the back flap of each box so I could have a milk straw sticking out of the back.
After all of the boxes were cut and scored I used my MISTI to stamp out the city background from the Avery Elle Super stamp set in Fog Grey ink. I then stamped 40 of the same background on black cardstock in white ink, again using my MISTI, which made things go pretty quickly. Next up were 80 word bubbles (4 for each box). After everything was stamped and had a chance to dry I die cut the city backgrounds and word bubbles. I also die cut a bunch of clouds that I didn’t end up using. Finally for the word signal that read “Happy Birthday” I hand drew the shape (there is a die included in the Super Elle-ments die set, but it wasnt long enough for what I needed), and cut 20 of them out with my Scan-n-Cut. I then stamped Happy Birthday on each of them with my MISTI.
After all of my individual pieces were complete it was time to assembly everything. This actually went pretty quickly! I offset the cityscape die cuts from the stamped background to give the illusion of depth. After they were assembled, I punched 2 holes in each box, filled them with goodies and tied them closed.
I had so much fun putting this all together and they went over well at the party. Word of advice… when undertaking a task like this I recommending binge watching something to help the time pass. 🙂